Sunday, October 27, 2013

One Fan's Review of SHIMMER Volumes 58-61

Earlier this month, I made my 6th trip to Berwyn, Illinois.  The 10 hour drive is filled with excitement and speculation, but nothing compares to experience of being at a SHIMMER taping weekend.  Throughout the weekend, there were many "hits" and a few "misses", but this was a weekend filled with great wrestling. There are so many people and things that happened that deserve to be "hits" and a few "misses", so I am going to group as many things together as I can.  This is a long one, so bear with me.  

Before I get into the "hits" and "misses", I would like to offer my thanks to Dave Prazak, Allison Danger, Kevin Harvey, and all of the SHIMMER crew.  This group of people have put together one of the best rosters in the wrestling industry and we, the fans, get the opportunity to experience this weekend of greatness twice a year.  

Hits

Kevin Harvey - When I heard the announcement that Joey Eastman was retiring, my heart sunk.  But, when I found out that Kevin was going to be the new announcer, I knew we'd be in solid hands.  I wasn't expecting just how good he was going to be.  Match 6 of Volume 57 was the turning point that made me a full out Kevin fan.  The decision to do the traditional Japanese introductions was extremely impressive.  Kudo, Mr. Harvey.

The Returns - Hiroyo Matsumoto and Nevaeh were the major returns this past weekend after both missing the spring weekend.  I never realize how much I miss Hiroyo until she returns.  She is such a joy to watch in the ring.  One of the most talented women on the roster and without a doubt, the happiest.  Nevaeh has always been a miss for me.  I had not really ever seen anything from her that wow'd me.  But, since the last taping, I've watched some of her CZW work, which start to impress me.  Then, this weekend, she really showed me that she has a spot.  I would really like to see her back.

The Rising Stars - This was a great weekend for the women that are up and coming.  Women like Su Yung, Veda Scott, Thunderkitty, Heidi Lovelace, and Mia Yim all had their best showings so far.  Gotta give props to Thunderkitty for keeping the "Trailer Made" chant alive in her match on Volume 61.  Mia Yim had probably the biggest rise of the roster.  Her time in Japan has been very beneficial for her.  If anyone had any doubt about her before Volume 58, those doubts should be gone now.

Storylines - SHIMMER has often been criticized about a lack of storylines.  I thought the stories this
weekend were fantastic.  We had the Klepto-Portia arc begin on 58 and run all the way to wrap on 61.  This was great to watch.  Portia is such a good story teller in the ring and I couldn't see anyone else pulling this off.  The Lufisto/Melissa arc is something that I assume came into be with Hamada's last minute travel issues.  It worked out really well and I can't wait to see how it finished up in the spring.  My favorite, however, is the Madison Eagles/Nicole Matthews feud.  SHIMMER has never been a promotion to have many heel/heel matches, but this is working so well.  The two put on a fantastic match on 58 and the constant shots throughout the weekend were fantastic.

The Debuts - This was a great weekend for Debuts.  Nikki Storm is one of the best, if not the best, debut of the year.  She embodies a cocky heel so well.  Her promos before each match was great.  Hikaru Shida was another incredibly talented women to come from the far east.  She was so so so good and her match against Nicole Matthews on Volume 60 showed that she was willing to have some tough shots with the Kendo stick. I think Angie Skye's move from Sparkle to SHIMMER was long overdue.  I was a fan from her very first Sparkle match and she showed against Mia Yim that she deserves to be on the main roster.  

Tag Team Division - The Tag Team Division has been very shaky for several years.  On any taping
weekend, there hasn't ever been more than a couple of teams that have been together more than a few matches.  Some of the teams have just been thrown together, which hasn't done anything to solidify the division.  This weekend, I thought the addition of the KimberBombs and Stephie/Nevaeh were great.  Both team work so well together and they both need to be brought back.  3G, LuKana, and Made in Sin also impressed.  I think Made in Sin is going to be the team to dethrone 3G.  

The SHIMMER Faithful - As always, we have to give props to the women like Nicole Matthews, Madison Eagles, Kana, Lufisto, Mercedes Martinez, and Cheerleader Melissa.  Any match these women are in, you know will be solidy.  Kudos to all of them for their matches all weekend and a big congratulations to Cheerleader Melissa.  Her announcement as the 2013 PWI #1 woman on the Top 50 was a very nice surprise.  

Misses

Individuals - There were a few women that I just didn't quite get.  Savannah Summers had been announced for Sparkle, but she instead made a run in to save Santana on 58 and teamed with her on 59, making her official debut.  However, why did she make the run in?  What was the link with Santana?  And why did she get SO buried on 59 with no match at all on 60 or 61.  I was expecting to be able to see what she could do, but I was just left with an empty feeling.  Speaking of Santana, I still just don't quite understand her.  She is a good babyface, but who is she?  I don't understand why we should like her other than the fact that she is a babyface.  The other woman that was kind of a miss for me was Crazy Mary Dobson.  I think she is interesting in the ring.  She definitely has talent,
but there were a few things that she did, that just didn't quite make sense.  In her Sparkle match with Angie Skye, she ran and scaled the turnbuckle like she was going to do a top rope arm drag.  But when she flipped down to the mat, she stalled and did something else.  In her tag match when Mary Lee Rose was taking the pin, CMD was in the ring, ran around the pin, and slid out on the opponent's side allowing the the pin to happen.  I don't know if it is inexperience or if it is part of her "crazy" gimmick, but it is odd. 

Cheerleader Melissa's Streak - Melissa's steak of wrestling on every volume has officially ended.  With the unfortunate gash she received from Lufisto on 60, she was forced to miss the match on 61.  She was able to make an appearance, which was good. Now, I think Nicole Matthews holds the record for longest streak for not missing a volume.  

Christina Von Eerie vs Saraya Knight - This was the biggest miss for me.
 I don't even remember what CVE did to disrespect Knight to cause the challenge to be issued.  The match set up was very confusing.  The fact that Knight apparently tapped in round 2 was a big surprise since I didn't see it.  I thought this match was blood, just for the sake of blood.  Overall, this was the biggest misses of the weekend.  

Overall, I thought this was a very successful weekend.  A big thanks to the SHIMMER crew, the roster, and all of the fans. I can't forget the pre-doors open roundtable group.  This group of SHIMMER enthusiasts make the wait extremely entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment