Wednesday, October 16, 2013

SHIMMER Volumes 58-61 preview

March 26, 2011 is a day that I will never forget.  It was my first SHIMMER live experience and it was fantastic.  The debut of The Knight Dynasty, Courtney Rush's main roster debut, and the dethroning of the Canadian Ninja's as Tag Team Champions.  This weekend is another SHIMMER weekend, the taping of Volumes 58-61.  Here is my preview of the potential weekend.


SHIMMER Championship

I will finally get to see Melissa as a true heel live this taping and I’m excited.  One of the most talented women on the roster, she is a heel through and through.  Even as a face in SHIMMER, she was still very heel-ish…..which I think is why I started to find her a little stale. 

Thinking about potential challengers, there is on person that I think will get a title shot for sure: Ayako Hamada. Hamada has continuously been one of the top performing women in SHIMMER for several years and you can always count on her to be a match of the volume contender.  After the confrontation between Hamada and Melissa at the end of the Danger retirement match on Volume 57, I think it is pretty safe to say we will see these in the ring.  I think Hamada should be the next champion, but I think Melissa will take this one.  It is too early for her to drop the title. 

Another woman that I expect to get a title shot is Kana.  Since her debut at Volume 41, she has taken the SHIMMER world by storm.  Her no-nonsense style is very unique and she has proven time and again that she is one of the toughest on the roster.  With impressive wins over the likes of Sara Del Rey, Lufisto, Athena, and Kalamity, she has proven that she is worthy of her first title shot. 

My next thought for a title defense is former champion Madison Eagles.  Although this would be a heel/heel match, it would be interesting to see the two clash since Melissa has turned to the dark side.  Madison dropped the title to Melissa on Volume 44 and was injured shortly thereafter.  Since returning on volume 53, she racked up 4 wins in 5 matches.  Not yet given her rematch, I would love to see the two square off again.


I have had a difficult time trying to figure out who a good challenger for her fourth defense of the weekend.  I considered it possibly being more of a surprise person like Christina Von Eerie, Leva Bates, or Santana Garrett.  All are good workers, but aren’t main event level women.  The best I could come up with was former Champion MsChif.  We haven’t seen ‘Chif and Melissa in the ring against each other since Volume 6.  Volumes 1, 4 and 6 saw the pair hash out a pretty nice feud with ‘Chif going 2-1 over Melissa.  With the fact that MsChif has been on and off the injured list more frequently over the last couple of years, I am not sure how much longer she will be an active competitor.  So it would be nice to see these two go at it again.

SHIMMER Tag Team Championship

Going into 3G’s first taping as Tag Team Champions, Kellie Skater and Tomoka Nakagawa will inevitably have their hands full for at least one match of the weekend.  The tandem beat the Canadian Ninjas on Volume 57 to become the 8th team to hold the belts.  However, Portia Perez and Nicole Matthews would love nothing more than to beat 3G to regain the belts for their 3rd reign. 


Other than the Canadian Ninjas, I would expect to see a title defense against the teams of Made in Sin (Allysin Kay & Taylor Made), LuKana (Lufisto and Kana), and MSEERIE (MsChif and Christina Von Eerie).  Made in Sin and LuKana have both had unsuccessful title shots in the past, but this would be the first chance for the goth/punk rock team of MSEEIRE. In the end, I would expect 3G to retain through the weekend.  They are already booked to defend the belts at the next SHINE iPPV against Valykrie (Allysin Kay and Ivelisse Velez).  I think Allysin Kay has a very bright future in wrestling, so I would love to see her win the Tag belts at some point.  I wasn’t a fan of Taylor Made before teaming with Kay, but this team worked for her big time. I wouldn’t mind seeing the belts go to Made In Sin…..but only after they have been in SHIMMER for a while and establish themselves as a solid team.

Debuts

Two women have been announced to debut for this set of tapings: Nikki Storm and Hikaru Shida.  I am not very familiar with Hikaru Shida other than being able to recognize her name.  I have seen a few of her matches and she seems to do really well.  Given that there have been extremely few joshi’s that SHIMMER has brought over that I have not become a fan of, I am sure Shida will do well.

Nikki Storm, on the other hand, I am more familiar with.  One of the best heels in Europe, Nikki is in her inaugural US tour.  With SHINE, AIW: Girls Night Out under her belt, she has WSU this weekend then the big SHIMMER debut.  I cannot wait.  Nikki oozes charisma and is incredible on the mic.  In the ring, she is crazy good and can be relied on to have a very solid match.  I don’t think I have been this excited for a debut since The Knight Dynasty was announced for Volume 37.

Sparkle Debuts: Savannah Summers, Crazy Mary Dobson


Notable Absences 


Injuries: First, we learn about Athena’s shoulder injury at the WSU show.  Then we learn about Angelus Layne’s concussion.  Then it is Courtney Rush’s broken collarbone.  Now, we learn that Xandra Bale was booked to appear at SHIMMER, but she has broken her fibula.  Athena and Courtney have been riding a big wave of popularity over the past several tapings, so it is going to be a hit to their momentum.  But, I predict these two will be able to pick up where they left off in the spring.  Angelus Layne and Xandra Bale are two of the more recent additions to the roster.  Both have shown a lot of potential, so to see them out with an injury is disappointing.  But here’s to a speedy recovery to all 4 women.


MIA: Serena Deeb, Jessie McKay, Shazza McKenzie, Evie, and Rhia O’Reilly have all been confirmed as missing this taping.  I think I saw where Evie was booked for a show in New Zealand, but I haven’t seen anything concrete on the others.  I was disappointed when I saw that Evie would not be there as her debut this spring was great.  Shazza and Rhia have been here for a couple of tapings and Serena and Jessie have been SHIMMER staples for several years.  It won’t be the first time that we’ve gone through a weekend with holes like this, but it will be nice to see all of them back in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment